30 minute Potato and Corn Soup


I’ve been blessed to have children that aren’t really picky eaters. They are willing to try new things. Of course they have their favorite foods and they do like junk food as much as any other kid, but they also prefer any of my home cooking to going out to eat (makes me feel like I can actually cook). It really is awesome they want home cooked meals except for the fact that I don’t always have time to cook or after teaching all day, I am just tired. So I’ve had to come up with quick recipes that everyone will love.

This potato and corn soup came as an accident one night while I was scrounging to see what I could throw together since I didn’t do groceries as planned. I didn’t have a protein for dinner and my potatoes were close to sprouting some roots. I had tons of side items and odd broths (they were on sale and I thought I needed to buy one of each). I sat a few things out and to see what would taste good together and this soup was the end result. It turned out really good and has become part of the regular rotation of meals.

Here’s what you need:
6 medium potatoes
¼ large onion, diced
2 tablespoons butter (I used my homemade butter)
Vegetable broth
2 cups almond milk soup base
2 tablespoons chopped chives
3 strips cooked bacon
1 cup cooked corn
1 cup cheddar cheese
Fresh ground pepper
Salt

Start by frying the bacon on the stove (or put it in the over at 350 for 15 minutes, or there abouts) until it is crisp. If you can multitask frying and peeling the potatoes, go for it. I tend to burn things or get distracted by the little humans in the house, so I baked the bacon. Peel and dice the potatoes. Put them in a large pot and cover with the vegetable broth. Boil the potatoes until a toothpick slides off easily. While that is boiling, warm the corn and chop the bacon. Sauté the onions in butter. Once the potatoes are soft, use a potato masher and take out some aggression. I like the potatoes a bit clumpy so I wait to add the almond milk until I have mashed the potatoes. The almond milk will smooth it a bit still. Once the almond milk and potatoes are mixed, add the other ingredients and stir. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste. I prefer fresh ground pepper because it has a stronger flavor and I don’t use a lot of salt because the bacon is salty enough for me.


Comments

  1. Sounds Yummy! Will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely delicious!! I’m sure my family would really enjoy this! Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks super yummy. I will definitely have to try this. I love trying new recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a delicious dish and an easy cook recipe. I would love to try and I am sure my kids will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts