Tin Can Upcycling


Happy Earth Day! Did you know that on average each American produces 4.4 lbs of trash a day? As crazy as that sounds, I feel like it is very true. At least, in my house. Paper towels, coffee grinds, egg shells, plastic wrappers, tin cans, and dryer sheets seemed to comprise most of my trash. Oh, and papers sent home from the girls’ school – lots of those. I really hate that we are so wasteful. I have been trying to find new uses for just about everything rather than throwing things away.

On this Earth Day, I thought it appropriate to show ways to reuse tin cans rather than throwing them away (which I would hope you would be recycling them rather than throwing them out). I had a long list of ways to use the cans, but in order to post for Earth Day, I ended up only getting five projects done. Some are super simple and only take a bit of paper and hot glue, but they did get more difficult and I had to call in the hubs to help with the Drimmel. I know how to use it, but sparks make me nervous.

While making the bird feeder, my daughters wanted to help out. So I don't have video of them, but it turned into a great family craft night. The girls asked why we were using the cans instead of buying new bird feeders. My girls already are huge into composting and recycling so upcycling has shown them other ways to be more mindful of the world around us and what we use on a regular basis. 

Today I am going to show you five ways you can upcycle a tin can:  Pin-hole lantern, string lantern, pencil holder, vase, bird feeder. Now, I have never done a video before, so bear with me as I learn!

Hope you enjoy the video! 

Comments

  1. These are great ideas, My kids love watching the birds outside so making them into bird feeders would work perfect at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an awesome idea! And one that my girls would LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really a great idea for kids to make a beautiful item yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I wish I could be this creative! What a great way to make old stuff look brand new and even more beautiful than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You draw freehand very well! They are all beautiful after they are done. I like the bird feeder the most I think because we have one and are looking to obtain more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tins should be available easily at any household. This video is great visual and I have a better understanding how you can turn tins into interesting decoration in the house with so many creative way. Great activities for whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow. this is so neat. I love recycling and reusing things

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool project! My son did something similar at school, they upcycled potato chip cans into pen holders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bird feeder tin and it's bright color just looks amazing! Tin's size is so apt for pen stand or tooth brush holders. These are all pretty cool suggestions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela Ricardo BetheaApril 24, 2018 at 6:11 AM

    Wow! These are some awesome and cute can upcycling. I am loving the vase. I think I need to make DIY tin can crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I honestly wonder why we aren't more concerned with recycling as a society. So much stuff ends up in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love recyling old things at home. I remember my mom showed me how to recycle a wine bottle to a lamp it was really cool! You definitely pulled this off! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an adorable DIY! I always love projects that turn something unwanted into something functional and lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have so much waste and it's heartbreaking because it's definitely affecting the environment. So it's nice to see people make an effort to limit their waste as much as they can. I love this upcycling idea! It's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids and I love doing arts and crafts as well and upcycling is definitely a great way to make different kinds of things for the house. This one's pretty awesome and I'm sure the kids have fun making them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun post! I use tin cans for boring things... we keep oil in ours. Turning them into something crafty seems like a better solution ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is creative and lovely! I love how all of them turned out. You did a great job! !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely idea for Earth Day and a great way to make use of all those cans and tins we end up having around the house! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts