DIY Vick’s Vapor Rub Shower Discs

It is sniffles season around my house and I’ve been looking for all kinds of at home remedies to easy my kiddos suffering. I found this cool idea for making shower discs while I was searching Pinterest. Recipes included using essential oils, Vicks vapor rub, corn starch, coconut oil, citric acid, witch hazel, baking soda, and water. Well… I didn’t have everything I needed for most of the recipes so I tried to combine ideas from different sources to make my own. Here is what I used:

1 cup baking soda
½ cup corn starch
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 table spoon Vicks Vapor Rub

To start, I placed the coconut oil and Vicks in a microwave safe bowl. I started at 20 seconds in the microwave to melt it, then in 10 second increments until it was all melted. While that was melting, I mixed the baking soda and corn starch in another bowl. I slowly added the dry mix to the wet mix and whisked as I went. I did have to knock the mixture out of the whisk several times as I went but as it became more crumbly than wet mess, it was easier to mix.

I used a muffin tin and liners to shape the mixture into discs. You could use a rubber mold but I didn’t’ have one in a shape I wanted to use. Be sure to press the mixture tightly into whatever mold you are using so it doesn’t fall apart. You can either leave the mixture out overnight or you can bake it. I placed my pan in the over at 200 for one hour. It didn’t seem to firm up. So I left it in for another hour.  Still a bit moist. I had to leave the house so I didn’t keep it in the oven.

After researching some other recipes, I think if I had used water instead of coconut oil, it would have dried up much faster. I will be trying that next time. I had ended up leaving it on the counter for over 24 hours because I was just hoping it would be more solid. It did. I was surprised how firm they ended up actually.


I read in several reviews on other sites that the discs can sometimes make the shower a bit slippery. And since I used the oil instead of water, I was extra worried about this, but I didn’t want to place the disc right by the drain because I was afraid everything would just wash away and I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the aromatherapy. I placed it toward the back and crossed my fingers I wouldn't fall and break myself. Thankfully I didn't! I didn't think it made it all that slippery either, but I do have a nice grippy floor to my shower. I was also a bit skeptical about how well it would permeate the air. Would I actually be able to breathe easier after? The steam from the shower did lift the aromas and it felt good to breath in. No greasy mess rubbed all over my chest and I could breathe! Hallelujah. 

I do feel like I will still mess around with this recipe and make some updates, but for now, this momma is breathing easier and happy about it.  


Comments

Popular Posts