5 Steps to a Perfectly Planned Party

Planning a themed birthday party is lots of fun, thanks to Pinterest. Pulling off the oh-so-cute, perfectly decorated and organized party can be overwhelming. But, let’s be honest. Many of those pictures we see on Pinterest are from professional party planners trying to promote their brand. I’m not a professional. Just a mom with a creative side, just like many of you who are reading this. So don’t aim for what others have done. Focus on what you can do and work with what you got! Over the last few years, I have developed a system for planning parties that has helped to keep things organized and me from losing my mind.

Step 1: Timeline

I have made the mistake of trying to do everything the night before so that it would surprise my daughters when they came in and saw it. BIG mistake. I was so tried at the party I just wanted to nap. I have started planning 6 months ahead of time and then realized I overspent. Best thing timetable is a month to two weeks out. This way you don’t get tired of planning it, the kiddo is still interested in the theme, and you can stay within budget.

Step 2: Picking the theme

I might sound like a bad mom here – I don’t like letting the kids pick their themes. Children change their minds more than they change their underwear. Their interests are often so broad they want to incorporate everything into one party or they pick the least likely thing to make into a party. And with twins it is even harder!

So, I pick for theme most the time. I know what they are interested in. And, I make it to where they think it was all their idea to begin with. Yup, I am that mom. I try to pick things that will keep me interested in planning and prep because I will be the one doing all the work. If I get bored of what I am doing, the decorations just aren’t as good. The superhero party I did for their 4th birthday was hit and miss. Invitations were awesome, games were fun, decorations weren’t the best. The Harry Potter (6th) party, success! Disney princesses (1st), cluttered. Just Snow White (3rd), amazing! Pirate Fairy (5th)? Best games! Minnie Mouse (2nd), I don’t even remember so I’m guess it was dull.


The point it, have fun with is! If you don’t like it, people will know.

Step 3: Vision Board

If you haven’t done a vision board before, these can change your life! I love doing these because I am such a visual person. I don’t only create them for parties, I have them for my everyday life. It’s basically how Pinterest is was created, but if you are a pinaholic (guilty!) the board of using a pin board is less effective. I find it annoying to have to scroll back through the pins to find the one idea I needed. For the party vision board, I use Pinterest to get all the ideas into one place, and I don’t really limit myself to the number of pins. Then, when I am ready to really plan every little detail, I print out the pictures of the must haves. I start with the decorations and print them bigger than the other pictures. Why? Because when people walk in, I want them to be stunned. Their first impressions matter. Then I print out the games I want to include because, really, the party is about the experience of being there. These I print slightly smaller. Lastly, I print the food. These I print about the size of a wallet picture. They are important, but honestly, if I don’t get to the food, a pizza will do.

Once the board is completed, take a picture of it so when you are out shopping you don’t forget what you need. This helps with impulse buying.

Step 4: Budget

The dreaded B word that seems to stop our plans.

You have to have a budget though. If you didn’t have one, just get a party planner then. If you’re like me, I don’t want to spend more on a home party than I would have to book a party somewhere. My budget for all parties is $200. I also try to buy items that are reusable so I don’t have to go out and get them again for a different party. Since we are working with a budget, we need to go to budget friendly places. My favorite: The Dollar Tree. There are two Dollar Tree stores in my home town – one small, one a fairly decent size. In the town over, there is a huge one! I also love the corner of Target with cheap little goodies. Michaels craft store also has bins at the front for cheaper items. Between the three stores, I rarely have to shop elsewhere.

But, lets’s break the budget down:
  1. Invitations - $15
  2. Decorations - $50, make a list of what needs to be bought and what you can make
  3. Games or activities - $30, this is the cost of materials and prizes
  4. Food - $80, even though the food is the last thing I worry about, it is usually the most expensive (cake, chips, drinks, cups, plates, utensils, pizza or finger foods). If you have a Costco, Sam’s, or GFS, you will want to shop those places.
  5. Wiggle room - $25. . . Not much, but when you buy everything for $1, it is just enough.

Step 5: Start Crafting!

My Care Bear wanted to see what the tiara looked like
This is really a two-parter, you need to enlist help. Do not do all the prep work on your own. This is a great time to sit around with a few friends, make some crafts, and drink some wine (or mimosas, pick your time of day). Then start crafting. It is best to make as much as you can. This is how we stay in budget. If you are not a crafty person, get your friends who to help. If one friend has a Cricut or Silhouette machine, ask them to bring it. Need fancy scissors, surely someone has them? Don’t go out buying all the craft supplies in town. Use your resources. Keep your vision board where everyone can see it so they don’t have to question what you are wanting things to look like.

I like to do this pretty close to the party so I don’t have the decorations cluttering the house before the party. If I have large props, I do those last. Small things I keep totes around to store them in until the day before the party.


Now that everything is done, all you need to do is transform the space. I would suggest starting the day before, again with a few friends and some wine, and finishing up the morning of the party. 

Comments

Popular Posts